Eggs are an integral part of our daily diet. Whether in savory or sweet recipes, they are essential. However, unlike other foods, it is not always easy to know the age of an egg and whether it is still edible. So how do you know if an egg is fresh?
1. The simplest and most obvious way to know the age of eggs is to look at the expiration date. If the eggs are store bought, you will see the expiration date on the package or even on the egg itself. However, if this information does not appear, you will have no way of knowing the age of your eggs.
2. Glass of water: An easy trick to determine if an egg is fresh is to place it in a glass of water. If the egg floats completely and stays at the bottom of the glass, it means it is between one and three days old. On the other hand, if the egg floats and stays on the surface of the water, this indicates that it is in poor condition. From the 12th day, the egg begins to rise to the surface of the water, as an air chamber forms inside.
3. The white and the yolk: Another method is to crack the egg and place it on a plate. If the yolk remains in the center of the egg, it means it is fresh. On the other hand, if it is located on the sides, this indicates that it is old.
4. Fry: If the egg is still fresh, the film covering the yolk will remain intact when frying in the pan. On the other hand, if the egg is a few days old, the yolk will disperse on the white.
5. Ring: When shaking the egg, if the yolk rattles, it may be a sign that the egg is not good.
It is important to consider the age of the eggs we consume, as this can impact our health. In fact, eating an expired egg that has not been stored properly can cause stomach upset, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting or fever.
It is essential to know if an egg is fresh before consuming it. The expiration date is a key indicator, but when it is not present, the tips of glass of water, white and yolk, frying and bran can be of great help in determining the age of an egg. Remember to take this information into account to avoid any inconvenience.
I am a student and I am part of the editorial staff of joehovasmf.com. I have the chance to enjoy writing, however, I also like to discuss all subjects and especially anything related to Science.