Are you looking to reduce your electricity bill? The secret may well be hidden in the use of your dishwasher. Learn the common mistake many make and how to rectify it.
The surprising truth about the dishwasher
The dishwasher is one of the most used appliances in French homes. According to INSEE, almost 60% of households have this precious ally which turns out to be the fifth most energy-intensive device in our kitchens, after heavyweights like the refrigerator or the dryer. The French use it 3 to 5 times a week on average, a figure confirmed by Ademe. But what most don’t know is that the way they use it could cause a significant increase in their electricity consumption. Are you making this costly mistake?
The secret of “eco” mode
One of the most common mistakes is opting for the fast and intensive dishwasher programs. These programs, although effective in terms of speed, are in reality large consumers of energy. The solution? Ademe advises us to opt for “eco” mode. For what? Quite simply because 80% of the energy used by the dishwasher is used to heat the water. The “eco” mode washes at a lower temperature, thus “reducing electricity consumption by 45%”. A godsend for those looking to save money!
Better to opt for the “eco” program, even if the cycle will be longer. The result? An electricity bill reduced by 45%.
Bonus: other tips to save even more
It’s not just the “eco” program that will help you reduce your consumption. Here are some additional tips to optimize the use of your dishwasher:
- Consider replacing your old dishwasher with a recent model, rated A+++, which consumes half as much water as older models.
- Always wait until your device is full to launch it. If this is not the case, the half-load program will be your ally.
- Avoid unnecessary pre-washing which wastes water and energy. A simple removal of the remains is enough.
- Maintain your machine regularly: cleaning the filter, the door seal and descaling with white vinegar.
- Monitor the salt level and, if possible, run your machine during “off hours” to maximize your savings.
I am a web editor specialized in people news. I am passionate about the world of celebrity and I love to follow the latest trends, scoops and gossip that make the buzz